Deaf Awareness Training with basic Sign Language
1 in every 7 people in the UK have a degree of hearing loss. Deaf or hard of hearing people often find that lack of understanding of their needs and poor communication leads to discrimination against them.
Under the Equality Act 2010, it is against the law to discriminate against anyone with any kind of disability, including sensory impairment such as Hearing loss. Deaf awareness training supports equality and reduces unintentional discrimination.
We have developed a fun and interactive ½ day Deaf Awareness course, which is packed with useful, up-to-date information and basic signing training, where you will learn the following:
- Understand the implications of the Equality Act in regards to deaf colleagues or clients
- Understand deafness and the statistics
- Recognise the different types of deafness
- Know the do’s and don’ts of communicating with deaf people
- Have an understanding of communication aids and communication professionals
- Know how to create an environment to give equal access for deaf people
- Sign greetings and basic words
- Basic fingerspelling techniques
Who is it suitable for:
- Employees who have contact with members of the public
- People who work or live with a person with a hearing loss
- Managers involved in recruitment or responsible for delivering accessibility in the work environment
We can structure the training to meet the needs of your company. If you have any special requests what you would like to have included in the training, please inform us at the time of booking. To book your Deaf Awareness and basic Sign Language workshop, click HERE.
Every delegate will receive a certificate of attendance
No prior signing knowledge required
Yearly refresher courses available